Watermelon and Feta Salad
This easy summer salad recipe combines sweet, juicy watermelon, feta cheese, fresh mint and a splash of balsamic vinegar to make a versatile side dish with a unique blend of flavors.
Best when watermelon is in season and at its peak, this salad is a great side to serve with classic summer fare like grilled like chicken, pork and salmon.
Shopping for Watermelon
We like to use seedless watermelon for this dish. They come in a variety of sizes and in both yellow and red flesh, although the red is much more common.
Technically, seedless watermelons aren't completely seedless. They do contain small, edible white seeds similar to cucumbers.
If you're buying a whole watermelon, look for one that's free from cuts, bruises and soft spots.
It should feel somewhat for its size and have a creamy yellow spot on the bottom where it rested on the ground. This is a good indicating that it was allowed to ripen on the vine.
Safe handling note: Be sure to wash the outside of the watermelon under running water before cutting to avoid transferring any contaminants to the flesh inside.
- 4 cups seedless watermelon, cut into small (1/2-inch) cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons chiffonade of fresh mint, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the watermelon, onion, 1/2 cup of the feta cheese and 2 tablespoons of the mint in a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and vinegar, toss gently and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the salad to a serving dish and scatter the remaining cheese and mint on top.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium: 336mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 12g Protein: 5g