We love the versatility of coleslaw and almost never make the standard mayonnaise-based dressing because there are so many other exciting things you can do with the concept of a cabbage salad. This easy side is a great complement to our Plantain-Stuffed Chicken.Print
Tropical Cabbage Slaw
Tropical Cabbage Slaw is a perfect complement to Cuban-style cuisine, grilled meats or fish or even sandwiches.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 small head of green cabbage, shredded
- 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 nectarine, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Toss together in a large bowl the cabbage, Anaheim pepper, red bell pepper, red onion, nectarine and cilantro leaves. Drizzle on the vegetable oil, toss and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the orange juice concentrate, seasoned rice vinegar and lime juice in a small bowl. Pour over the cabbage mixture, toss well and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Recipe adapted from “Miami Spice: The New Florida Cuisine” by Steven Raichlen