Our favorite homemade coleslaw recipe is a lightened-up version of a classic creamy coleslaw.
We've essentially taken our favorite oil and vinegar coleslaw dressing and added just enough mayonnaise to create a creamy consistency without an overload of fat and calories.
For best flavor, prepare it at least an hour ahead of serving time to allow the flavors to develop and blend.Print
- 6 cups shredded cabbage (we like to use 5 cups of green to 1 cup red)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons rice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sweet onion, very finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or pressed
- Whisk the oil and mayonnaise together in the bottom of a large mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Whisk until the sugar and salt have dissolved, then stir in the onion and garlic.
- Add the cabbage and carrots and toss with the dressing until well blended. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavor to develop.