Our favorite homemade coleslaw recipe is a lightened-up version of a classic creamy coleslaw.
We’ve essentially taken our favorite oil and vinegar coleslaw dressing and added just enough mayonnaise to create a creamy consistency without an overload of fat and calories.
For best flavor, prepare it at least an hour ahead of serving time to allow the flavors to develop and blend.Print
Light and Creamy Coleslaw
This lightened-up coleslaw recipe uses just enough mayonnaise to achieve a creamy consistency without an overload of fat and calories.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 6 cups shredded cabbage (we like to use 5 cups of green to 1 cup red)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons rice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sweet onion, very finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced or pressed
- Whisk the oil and mayonnaise together in the bottom of a large mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Whisk until the sugar and salt have dissolved, then stir in the onion and garlic.
- Add the cabbage and carrots and toss with the dressing until well blended. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavor to develop.