As side dishes go, this one is about as colorful (and tasty) as you can get. Seasoned with nothing but garlic, salt, pepper and a splash of balsamic vinegar and cooked over an even, medium heat, this simple combination of bell peppers, mushrooms and onions really lets the natural, sweet flavors of the vegetables shine.Print
Sweet Pepper, Mushroom and Onion Medley
This flavorful combination of sweet bell peppers, mushrooms and sliced onions seasoned with fresh garlic and a splash of balsamic vinegar makes a great side dish for a variety of entrees.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 3 large, sweet bell peppers (1 each orange, yellow and red)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1–1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Remove the stem, core and seeds from the peppers and slice them lengthwise into thin strips. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until they are very soft and golden in color, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking, stirring from time to time, until any moisture given off by the mushrooms has evaporated and they’ve turned a rich golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the peppers, season again with salt and pepper, and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the peppers have softened, 6 minutes. Add the balsamic, cover the pan and cook for an additional 6 to 8 minutes, stirring every minute or so. Remove the cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring often. The peppers should be sweet and very tender. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, sprinkle with parsley and serve family style.