Sweet Pepper, Mushroom and Onion Medley
As side dishes go, this one is about as colorful (and tasty) as you can get. Seasoned with nothing but garlic, salt, pepper and a splash of balsamic vinegar and cooked over an even, medium heat, this simple combination of bell peppers, mushrooms and onions really lets the natural, sweet flavors of the vegetables shine.
- 3 large, sweet bell peppers (1 each orange, yellow and red)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Remove the stem, core and seeds from the peppers and slice them lengthwise into thin strips. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until they are very soft and golden in color, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking, stirring from time to time, until any moisture given off by the mushrooms has evaporated and they've turned a rich golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the peppers, season again with salt and pepper, and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the peppers have softened, 6 minutes. Add the balsamic, cover the pan and cook for an additional 6 to 8 minutes, stirring every minute or so. Remove the cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring often. The peppers should be sweet and very tender. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, sprinkle with parsley and serve family style.