Sweet Pepper, Mushroom, and Onion Medley
This easy side dish medley of sweet bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions is flavored with sautéed garlic and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
As side dishes go, this blend of peppers, onions, and mushrooms is about as colorful (and tasty) as you can get.
Seasoned with nothing but garlic, salt, pepper, and a splash of balsamic vinegar this easy skillet medley is cooked slowly and evenly over medium heat to allow the natural, sweet flavors of the vegetables to develop.
Because its flavors are so simple, this side dish can be served alongside a wide variety of entrées. Here are a few you might want to try.
- Oven Roasted Chicken Thighs
- Barbecue Chicken Meatloaf
- Garlic Crumb Topped Chicken
- Italian Steak with Garlic Butter and Peppers
- Pan-Seared Rib-Eye Steaks
- Oven-Fried Parmesan Pork Chops
- Pan-Seared Pork Rib Chops
- Grilled Swordfish with Lemon-Basil Butter
- Oven-Baked Fish with Caesar Topping
Or, make it a main dish:
It’s also easy to turn our bell pepper, mushroom, and onion medley into a main dish. Here are a couple of easy ideas:
- Make a one-dish pasta dinner: Once cooked, toss the veggies together with pasta (rotini is a good choice) and crumbled Italian sausage, top with grated Parmesan, and serve.
- Make a flatbread: Buy some naan (we love Stonefire roasted garlic flavor) or other ready-made flatbreads and top with the cooked veggies and a blend of shredded Italian cheeses.
- Make a low-carb “rice” bowl: Serve the vegetable medley along with shredded rotisserie chicken over steamed riced cauliflower, and drizzle with balsamic glaze for some added flavor.
- 3 large, sweet bell peppers (red, orange, and/or yellow)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Remove the stem, core, and seeds from the peppers and slice them lengthwise into thin strips. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until they are very soft and golden in color, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and continue cooking, stirring from time to time, until any moisture given off by the mushrooms has evaporated and they've turned a rich golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the peppers, season again with salt and pepper, and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the peppers have softened, 6 minutes.
- Add the balsamic, cover the pan, and cook for an additional 6 to 8 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
- Remove the cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer, stirring often. The peppers should be sweet and very tender. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, sprinkle with parsley, and serve family-style.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 271mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.