Sweet Corn and Tomato Salad
This simple combination of fresh summer corn and sweet tomatoes needs nothing more that a little salt and pepper and a handful of fresh chives to make an easy side dish that goes great with classic summer fare like burgers, grilled steak and barbecue chicken.
- 6 ears fresh sweet corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 pint grape (or cherry) tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- Place the corn on a steaming rack over 1/2-inch of boiling water. Cover and steam until crisp tender, turning once, 5 to 6 minutes total.
- While the corn cooks, place the tomatoes in a bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Remove the corn from the pan and set aside to cool. Once the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cob and transfer them to a serving bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then, using a slotted spoon, add the tomatoes to the corn and discard the remaining liquid. Stir in the chives and serve.