Come fall, when pumpkin spice everything is all the rage, this quick, easy muffin recipe is our favorite go-to.
Made with unsweetened pumpkin puree and flavored with the perfect amount of fragrant spice, these muffins are light, moist, and can be baked in either standard or mini-sized muffin tins.
To give these muffins their flavor, we use pumpkin pie spice, a delicious blend of baking spices that includes cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
You can buy this spice blend ready-made, or do what we do and mix up a small batch of your own so its fragrant flavor stays fresh and pungent.
How to make pumpkin pie spice
- 4 parts ground cinnamon
- 2 parts ground allspice
- 1 part ground ginger
- 1 part ground nutmeg
- 1/2 part ground cloves
Combine and store in a tightly sealed jar for up to three months.
Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, see notes
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Coarse decorating sugar, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare the muffin tins by coating each cup with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk until lightly beaten.
- Add the milk, oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Whisk until smooth and well blended, then stir in the pumpkin purée and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and stir until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and top with coarse decorating sugar if desired.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 14 to 16 minutes.