Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Baked with buttermilk and shredded zucchini, our chocolate zucchini bread is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth without a lot of fat and calories.
This easy quick bread recipe has a rich, chocolaty flavor that makes it satisfying enough to serve as a light dessert.
The shredded zucchini and buttermilk add both moisture and a nutritious boost while keeping fat and calories to a minimum.
Our chocolate zucchini bread is tasty enough to be served plain, but a thin spread of cream cheese is a great addition – like a piece of chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting.
Tips for Making Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Use good-quality unsweetened baking cocoa for a rich chocolate flavor. We happen to like Ghiradelli the best and it's easy to find both online and in supermarkets.
- Choose firm, unblemished zucchini and grate by hand on the largest holes of a box grater.
- Be sure to squeeze as much liquid from the zucchini as possible. This recipe calls for 1-1/2 cups of shredded zucchini which will be reduced to about 1 cup after you squeeze out all the moisture.
RELATED: For something a little different, give our Savory Pesto-Zucchini Bread a try. Flavored with basil pesto and Parmesan cheese, it makes a great snack or side for soups and main dish salads.
- 1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1/2 lb)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously grease a standard loaf pan.
- Place the shredded zucchini in cheesecloth or a fine-mesh strainer and squeeze or press out any excess liquid. You should be left with about one cup. Set aside.
- Thoroughly combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated, then stir in the zucchini.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the bread in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 136Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 208mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g