Savory Pesto Zucchini Bread
The addition of grated zucchini creates the moist, tender texture of this savory quick bread.
Flavored with basil pesto, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, scallions and tangy buttermilk, it can be served as is or lightly toasted with a little butter.
Savory Pesto-Zucchini Bread
- 1/2 lb zucchini, coarsely grated (see notes)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons [basil pesto]
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously butter 2 loaf pans (9 x 5 x 3-inches).
- Wrap the grated zucchini in a double thickness of cheesecloth and wring out the excess liquid (see notes below). Place in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, olive oil and pesto together until well blended. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. Add the wet ingredients, zucchini and scallions and mix until well blended.
- Note: The mixture will be stiff – more like a dough than a batter.
- Divide between the prepared loaf pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn onto cooling racks.