Pineapple Lemon Mini Muffins
Perfect for breakfast or a mid-morning snack, these light and delicate mini muffins get their bright, tropical flavor from chopped pineapple and fresh lemon zest.
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (or vanilla)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease the cups in a mini (or standard - see notes) muffin tin.
- Place the chopped pineapple in a fine-mesh strainer, set it over a bowl and, using the back of a large spoon, press out the excess juice. Let the pineapple continue draining while you prepare the muffin batter.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a larger mixing bowl, whisk the egg, milk and sugar together until frothy, then stir in the melted butter, lemon extract and lemon zest.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly blended, then stir in the pineapple. The batter will be rather thick.
- Divide the batter between the prepared muffin tins and bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin at the center of the pan comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate after one day.
To make standard-sized muffins:
Follow the recipe as written and increase the baking time to 14 to 16 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81 Total Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 13mg Sodium: 83mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Protein: 1.5g