Lemon Poppy Seed Buttermilk Muffins
Buttermilk adds a little extra tang to the classic flavor combination of lemon and poppy seeds. The grated lemon zest and freshly squeezed juice give these muffins a light fresh flavor – not too sweet. Serve warm, sliced in half and spread with a bit of butter and a dab of lemon curd.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a standard-sized muffin-pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, melted butter, buttermilk, vegetable oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon and vanilla extracts. Stir into the dry ingredients, add the poppy seeds and combine thoroughly.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer muffins from pan to a cooling rack immediately.