The combination of dried apricots, cranberries and chopped walnuts are tasty additions to this classic quick bread recipe.
This easy recipe for Apricot and Cranberry Nut Bread is based on the recipe for basic quick bread in the 75th Anniversary Edition of Irma Rombauer's Joy of Cooking.
We've added dried cranberries and apricots for a subtle sweet-tart flavor, and some chopped walnuts for a bit of richness.
Serve warm with butter, and if you really want a treat, add a little cream cheese too.
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the over to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Place the dried cranberries in a small bowl and pour the boiling water over top. Allow them to stand and soften for 15 minutes, drain well and pat dry lightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Add the milk, vanilla extract and melted butter. Beat together until well blended. Add to the flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the chopped apricots, cranberries and walnuts until thoroughly distributed throughout the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan, smooth the top and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before wrapping for storage.
If you make banana bread often, it's worth noting that the batter for this quick bread might be a bit thicker than you are used to.
Also, if your dried apricots don't seem moist and tender you can soften them with boiling water, just like the cranberries. Just be sure to pat them dry as well.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 27mg Sodium: 352mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 18g Protein: 5g