Apple Oatmeal Muffins
This easy oatmeal muffin recipe combines quick-cooking oats, fresh diced apple, buttermilk and spices to make a low-fat, low-sugar breakfast treat.
Our apple and oatmeal muffins are made with quick-cooking oats, buttermilk, and fresh apples, which provide most of the sweetness. Not only are they quick and easy to make, thanks to these healthy ingredients, they’re low in sugar and fat as well.
They’re delicious just the way they are, but we recommend serving our Apple and Oatmeal muffins warmed and spread with a little butter and/or whipped cream cheese.
More Easy Muffin Recipes
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Pineapple-Lemon Mini Muffins
- Banana Walnut Muffins
- Gluten-Free Morning Glory Muffins (from King Arthur Flour)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar (see recipe notes)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped (about 1-1/4 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F.
- Prepare your muffin pan by lightly greasing the bottom of each cup.
- Thoroughly combine the buttermilk and oats in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk the egg and melted butter together in a large mixing bowl and stir in the buttermilk-oat mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients and combine thoroughly, then fold in the chopped apple.
- Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full with the batter.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a rack.
We happen to like our baked goods very lightly sweetened and this recipe definitely falls into that category. If you prefer your muffins a tad sweeter, you can feel free to increase the sugar from 2 to 3 tablespoons.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 242mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.