These moist, delicious muffins are a cinch to whip up for a weekend morning treat. Made with buttermilk and oatmeal, they get most of their sweetness from fresh apple, so not only are they quick and easy to make, they're low in sugar and fat too. Serve warm with a little butter or whipped cream cheese.Print
This quick and easy muffin recipe combines oatmeal, fresh diced apple, buttermilk and spices for a low-fat, low-sugar breakfast treat.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 10 to 12 muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Prepare muffin tins by lightly greasing each cup (recipe makes 10 to 12 regular-sized muffins).
- Combine the buttermilk and oats in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves together into a large bowl.
- Whisk together the beaten egg and melted butter and combine with the buttermilk-oat mixture. Add to the dry ingredients and combine gently. Fold in the apple.
- Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full with the batter. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.