These lightly-sweetened apple and oatmeal muffins are a cinch to whip up for a weekend breakfast treat.
Made with chopped apple, buttermilk, and quick-cooking oats, they get most of their sweetness from the apple, so not only are they quick and easy to make, they're low in sugar and fat as well.
These muffins are delicious just the way they are, but we recommend serving them warm with a little butter and/or whipped cream cheese.
This quick and easy muffin recipe combines oatmeal, fresh diced apple, buttermilk and spices for a low-fat, low-sugar breakfast treat.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 10 to 12 muffins
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar (see recipe notes)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped (about 1-1/4 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F.
- Prepare your muffin pan by lightly greasing the bottom of each cup.
- Thoroughly combine the buttermilk and oats in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk the egg and melted butter together in a large mixing bowl and stir in the buttermilk-oat mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients and combine thoroughly, then fold in the chopped apple.
- Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full with the batter.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a rack.
We happen to like our baked goods very lightly sweetened and this recipe definitely falls into that category. If you prefer your muffins a tad sweeter, you can feel free to increase the sugar from 2 to 3 tablespoons.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 133
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 195mg
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 21g