Oven-braising zucchini in olive oil is a simple way to create a delicious side dish with very little fuss – perfect for a company meal when you have other things to attend to. The slow cooking draws out the natural flavors of the foods, particularly the sun-dried tomatoes, which add texture and an intense tomato flavor to the dish.Print
Oven-Braised Zucchini in Olive Oil
A simple combination of zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and onion is oven-braised in extra-virgin olive oil to make an easy, richly flavored side dish.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings 1x
- 2 lbs zucchini
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1–1/2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini, quarter them lengthwise, then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch chunks. Place in a large bowl, then add the garlic, onion, sun-dried tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and a few generous grinds of black pepper.
- Whisk the olive oil and lemon juice together in a small bowl, then add to the zucchini mixture and toss to coat thoroughly. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove the foil, stir, and return to the oven uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes longer. Transfer to a bowl and serve family style.