Oven-roasting with butter, fresh thyme and a touch of honey brings additional depth of flavor to the natural sweetness of pearl onions. They make a simple, delicious side dish to serve with roast turkey, chicken or pork and can easily be made ahead and reheated.Print
Thyme-Roasted Pearl Onions
Perfect for serving with roast chicken, turkey or pork, this easy side dish of roasted pearl onions is flavored with a simple combination of fresh thyme, butter and honey.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 to 4 servings
- 1 to 1/4 lbs pearl onions, peeled (see recipe notes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a shallow baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the onions and thyme leaves in a large bowl. Drizzle with the melted butter and honey, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Arrange the onions in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and roast the onions until tender and lightly caramelized, 18 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Note: This recipe may be made ahead and reheated. Remove the onions from the refrigerator 30 minutes in advance, then heat in a covered casserole at 325°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
To peel pearl onions easily, immerse them in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes, then plunge them into ice water for 2 minutes. Drain well and cut off the root end of the onion with a pair of kitchen shears, then squeeze gently from the opposite end. The onion should pop out of the skin through the trimmed end.