Oven-roasting with butter, fresh thyme and a touch of honey brings additional depth of flavor to the natural sweetness of pearl onions.
They make a simple, delicious side dish to serve with roast turkey, chicken or pork and can easily be made ahead and reheated.
How To Peel Pearl Onions
To peel pearl onions easily, immerse them in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes, then plunge them into ice water for 2 minutes.
Drain well and cut off the root end of the onion with a pair of kitchen shears, then squeeze gently from the opposite end. The onion should pop out of the skin through the trimmed end.Print
Thyme-Roasted Pearl Onions
Perfect for serving with roast chicken, turkey or pork, this easy side dish of roasted pearl onions is flavored with a simple combination of fresh thyme, butter and honey.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 to 4 servings
- Category: Vegetables
- Cuisine: American
- 1 to 1/4 lbs pearl onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a shallow baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the onions and thyme leaves in a large bowl. Drizzle with the melted butter and honey, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Arrange the onions in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and roast the onions until tender and lightly caramelized, 18 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Note: This recipe may be made ahead and reheated. Remove the onions from the refrigerator 30 minutes in advance, then heat in a covered casserole at 325°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.