Zucchini Parmesan Fritters
Make the most of the late summer zucchini harvest with this easy zucchini fritter recipe. They make a great side dish to serve with entrees like grilled chicken or steak, but they can also be served as an appetizer (just make them smaller). Fresh basil is our favorite herb to include, but chives, parsley and tarragon are good choices too. Serve plain or with a marinara sauce for dipping.
- 1 lb (about 3 medium) zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup flour (see recipe notes)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade of fresh basil (or parsley)
- Grate the zucchini on the largest holes of a box grater. Wrap it inside two thicknesses of cheesecloth and squeeze out as much liquid as possible, then place it in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, eggs, flour (see notes), salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Mix well. The batter will be loose but shouldn't appear watery.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add about 2 tablespoons of the zucchini mixture for each fritter, leaving plenty of room in the pan to turn them easily.
- Fry until golden brown and the edges of the fritters hold together fairly well when you try to flip them over, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. You may need to add more oil to the pan after a batch or two.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined platter and blot the excess oil. Serve with a warm marinara sauce for dipping.
Because the amount of liquid that zucchini gives off can vary, it's best to start out with a scant 1/4 cup of the flour in your mixture.
Once your oil has heated, make a "test fritter" to see how much it spreads during cooking.
Drop about 2 tablespoons of the mixture into the hot oil. If the fritter spreads out more than 3-inches in diameter, add 1 additional tablespoon of flour to your zucchini mixture.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 fritters
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 427mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.