Perfect as a side dish for company meals or holiday celebrations, this green bean side dish is a tried and true favorite.
The addition of toasted walnuts and sautéed shallots enhances the flavor of the green beans without overpowering their natural sweetness.
Green Beans with Toasted Walnuts and Shallots
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 3 tablespoons walnut, or vegetable oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons panko crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and coat a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, toss the green beans with 2 tablespoons of the walnut oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the beans on the prepared baking sheet and roast until lightly caramelized, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While the beans are roasting, heat the remaining tablespoon of walnut oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté until soft and just beginning to turn golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped walnuts, stir to coat and cook until the nuts begin to release a toasted aroma, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add about 3/4 of the walnut-shallot mixture to the green beans, toss to combine and transfer to an oven-proof serving dish.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the pan with the rest of the walnuts. Add the panko, combine well and spread the mixture over the green beans.
- Return the beans to the oven just long enough to toast the topping, 3 to 5 minutes.
Leave a Reply