Green Beans with Toasted Walnuts and Shallots
This recipe combines the natural sweetness of oven-roasted green beans with sautéed shallots and toasted walnuts to make a versatile side dish that pairs well with a wide variety of entrées.
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 3 tablespoons walnut (or vegetable) oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons panko crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and coat a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, toss the green beans with 2 tablespoons of the walnut oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the beans on the prepared baking sheet and roast until lightly caramelized, 12 to 15 minutes.
- While the beans are roasting, heat the remaining tablespoon of walnut oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté until soft and just beginning to turn golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped walnuts, stir to coat and cook until the nuts begin to release a toasted aroma, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add about 3/4 of the walnut-shallot mixture to the green beans, toss to combine and transfer to an oven-proof serving dish.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the pan with the rest of the walnuts. Add the panko, combine well and spread the mixture over the green beans.
- Return the beans to the oven just long enough to toast the topping, 3 to 5 minutes.