This easy zucchini recipe is sure to please even the pickiest of vegetable eaters (including kids).
A simple filling of sautéed sweet onion, zucchini, breadcrumbs and melted mozzarella cheese turn a simple vegetable into a delicious, satisfying side dish that can easily be made ahead for company.Print
Stuffed Zucchini Boats
These hollowed out zucchini boats are stuffed with a simple mixture of sautéed sweet onion, zucchini and mozzarella cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Vegetables
- Cuisine: American
- 4 medium zucchini
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium sweet onion (Vidalia), chopped
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and coat a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini and halve them lengthwise. Using a melon baller, hollow out each half leaving a wall of 1/4-inch or less on the sides and bottom. Reserve the pulp.
- Season the zucchini halves with salt and pepper, arrange them on the prepared baking sheet and bake until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Roughly chop the reserved zucchini pulp and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute longer, then add the chopped zucchini.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper and continue cooking until the zucchini is tender and the entire mixture is lightly caramelized, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Stir in the breadcrumbs and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Divide the zucchini-onion mixture between the hollowed “boats,” and top each with about 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes, or until the “boats” are tender when pierced with a knife and the cheese is melted and golden.