Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Filled with a blend of sautéed sweet onion, zucchini, and mozzarella cheese, these stuffed zucchini boats will please the pickiest of eaters.
This tasty recipe is easy to prepare and a great way to turn zucchini, a somewhat bland veggie, into a deliciously satisfying side dish that everyone will love.
How to make stuffed zucchini
- The first step to make this dish is to halve your zucchini lengthwise, hollow them out (a melon baller works really well for this), and pre-bake them.
- While the “boats” bake, you can make the filling. Chop the zucchini flesh that you removed and sauté it in olive oil along with diced sweet onion and minced garlic.
- Combine the sautéed veggies with breadcrumbs and your favorite shredded cheese (we’ve used both mozzarella and fontina with great results) and spoon the mixture into the hollowed zucchini halves.
- Now that they’re stuffed, the zucchini “boats” are ready for their second baking. Pop them back in the oven and bake just long enough for the cheese to melt and the crumbs get a little bit toasty.
Note: This dish reheats very well so if you have an abundance of zucchini from your summer garden, it’s easy to make enough for a couple of meals or prepare them ahead for a company dinner.
More popular zucchini recipes:
- Crunchy Oven-Fried Zucchini Sticks
- Hungarian Summer Squash with Dill
- Spicy Tortellini with Zucchini and Tomatoes
- Zucchini Parmesan Fritters
- Savory Pesto Zucchini Bread
- How to Grill Zucchini (from Kalyn’s Kitchen)
Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium zucchini, about 2 lbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup finely shredded cheese, mozzarella, Muenster, fontina, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and coat a shallow baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Halve the zucchini lengthwise and, using a melon baller, hollow out each half, leaving a wall of about 1/4-inch on the sides and bottom. Reserve the flesh you removed.
- Season the zucchini halves with salt, arrange them on the prepared baking sheet and set aside for 10 minutes to allow some of the moisture to be drawn out.
- Blot the zucchini dry with paper towels, then bake until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the zucchini pre-bakes, roughly chop the reserved zucchini flesh.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat and add the onion. Sauté until soft and translucent, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute longer, then add the zucchini.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper and continue cooking until the entire mixture is soft and slightly caramelized, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese and all of the Parmesan. Combine well.
- Divide the zucchini-onion mixture between the hollowed “boats,” and top each with a sprinkling of the remaining cheese.
- Return the zucchini to the oven for an additional 8 to 10 minutes, or until the “boats” are tender when pierced with a knife and the cheese is melted and golden.