The classic flavor combination of cottage cheese and chives is the basis for this great-tasting potato casserole. Baked until golden and bubbly, it’s a creamy blend of Yukon gold potatoes, cottage cheese, smooth-melting fontina and a generous helping of fresh chives to give the dish a mild, sweet onion flavor.Print
Creamy Cottage Cheese and Chive Potatoes
A creamy, cheesy potato side dish made with Yukon golds, cottage cheese, shredded fontina and fresh chives.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup shredded fontina, divided
- 3/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and generously grease a 9 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them into 3/4-inch cubes. Transfer to a saucepan, add 1 teaspoon salt and cover with cold water.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil and cook just until tender when pierced with a knife, 12 to 14 minutes. Do not overcook. Transfer to a colander to drain and set aside.
- Heat the milk in the microwave or a separate saucepan until very warm, but not scalded. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and blend with a whisk until well combined. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture develops a pale golden color, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the warmed milk, whisking continually until smooth and well blended. Continue cooking, whisking frequently, until the sauce is smooth and beginning to thicken.
- Reduce the heat to low, add 1/2 cup of the shredded fontina and stir until completely melted. Add the cottage cheese, salt and pepper and continue stirring until the curds have melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Return the potatoes to the pan, add the chives (reserving about a teaspoon for garnish if desired) and combine thoroughly.
- Transfer the potato-cheese mixture to the prepared pan, smooth the top and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of fontina.
- Bake, uncovered until golden brown and bubbly, 35 to 45 minutes. Garnish with extra chives and serve immediately.