Inspired by traditional Italian Easter celebrations, this succulent boneless leg of lamb is richly seasoned from the inside out with a flavorful rub made with extra virgin olive oil, garlic and fresh rosemary, thyme and parsley.Print
Herb Roasted Boneless Leg of Lamb
A tender, juicy boneless leg of lamb seasoned with a blend of olive oil, garlic, fresh parsley, thyme and rosemary.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 boneless leg of lamb, 4 to 5 lbs
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Lay the lamb flat on a cutting board, fatty side up. If there are layers of fat that are thicker than 1/8-inch, pare them down but don’t trim away the fat completely.
- Turn the meat over (cut side up) and remove any large chunks of fat there as well, being careful not to remove any of the membrane holding the meat together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and coat a roasting pan and rack with nonstick spray.
- Combine the olive oil, salt, garlic, rosemary, thyme and parsley in a small bowl. Spread about 2/3 of this mixture over the cut side of the roast, roll it into a cylinder and set it on the board, seam side down.
- Using unbleached cotton kitchen twine, tie the roast crosswise at 1-1/2″ intervals. Tie snugly, but not so that the twine cuts into the flesh of the roast too deeply. Tuck in the flaps of meat at either end of the roast and run a piece of twine lengthwise to hold them in place, weaving it over and under each of the crosswise pieces.
- Add 1 cup water to the roasting pan, position the lamb on the rack and roast for 15 minutes. Remove the lamb from the oven and reduce the temperature to 375°F.
- Spread the remaining garlic mixture over the outside of the lamb and roast until a thermometer reads 130°F for rare (135°F for medium). To avoid overcooking, begin checking the temperature after 40 minutes.
- Allow the roast to rest for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove all the twine and carve into 1/2-inch thick slices.
How to Tie a Boneless Leg of Lamb