White-Wheat Homemade Pizza Dough
This easy homemade pizza dough is made with a combination of all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and rapid rise yeast.
This is a hand-kneaded dough that uses rapid rise yeast. It’s a favorite of ours because the whole wheat flour adds flavor, while the all-purpose flour keeps the crust light and tender once baked.
As written, the recipe makes enough dough for two thin-crust, 12-inch pizzas or one thick-crust, 14-inch pizza.
- Eggplant Pizza
- Spinach, Mushroom, and Goat Cheese Pizza
- Greek Pesto Chicken Pizza
- Fig, Brie and Prosciutto Flatbread
White and Wheat Pizza Dough
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope rapid rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup warm water, 125°F to 130°F
- Combine the whole wheat flour, 1 cup of the all-purpose flour, yeast, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and warm water and stir to combine.
- Add enough extra all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (1/2 cup is usually enough).
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball, cover loosely and let rest for 10 minutes.
For two 12-inch, thin-crust pizzas:
- Divide the dough in half and flatten into 2 disks.
- Roll and stretch to fit pizza pans that have been lightly oiled and sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Pre-bake the crust for 5 minutes at 425°F.
- Remove from the oven, add the desired toppings, and continue baking until the edges of the crust are toasted and the cheese is melted and bubbly, 8 to 12 minutes.
For one 14-inch, thick-crust pizza:
- Flatten the dough into a disk, then roll and stretch to fit a pizza pan that’s been lightly oiled and sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Once the crust is positioned on the pan, cover loosely and allow to rise for 10 minutes, then pre-bake for 5 minutes at 425°F.
- Remove from the oven, add your toppings and continue baking until the crust is crisped on both the bottom and edges and the cheese is melted and bubbly, 12 to 20 minutes.