Pasta With Goat Cheese and Tomatoes
Tangy goat cheese and fresh, sweet tomatoes combine with toasted pine nuts to give this light, easy pasta dish a healthy dose of flavor.
Goat cheese and toasted pine nuts make a unique flavor combination that pairs really nicely with the sweetness of the grape tomatoes in this quick and easy vegetarian pasta recipe. A salad on the side and a nice glass of wine are all you need to round out a light, yet satisfying meal.
Key Ingredients for This Recipe
In addition to some pantry staples like olive oil, low-sodium chicken broth, and balsamic vinegar, you’ll need:
- Rotini pasta (or other pasta with ridges or grooves for holding sauce)
- Pine nuts (aka pignoli nuts)
- Onion and garlic
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- Fresh parsley
- Crumbled goat cheese
How to Make Pasta with Goat Cheese and Tomatoes
- Put a pot of water on to boil for the pasta.
- Toast the pine nuts in olive oil and set aside.
- Sauté the onion and garlic.
- Add the chicken broth and tomatoes cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add a little balsamic vinegar for flavor, check the seasoning, and cover to keep warm.
- Cook and drain the pasta and combine with the tomato mixture.
- Add the parsley, pine nuts, and crumbled goat cheese.
- Toss gently and serve.
LET US KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS: If you try this recipe, please leave a star rating and/or a comment below. We’re always happy to hear from our readers! You can also follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram, or sign up for our email list to get our recipes sent directly to your inbox.
Pasta with Goat Cheese and Tomatoes
- 12 ounces rotini, or penne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup pine (pignoli) nuts
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pints grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.Note: It's important to watch the pine nuts carefully as they can burn in a matter of seconds.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet along with the onion. Sauté until soft and barely golden, 4 to 6 minutes, then add the garlic and continue cooking until soft and fragrant, 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the chicken broth and tomatoes and cook just long enough for the tomatoes to soften slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and drain. Combine with the tomato mixture and toss to combine well.
- Add the parsley and pine nuts, adjust the seasoning as needed and set aside for a minute or two to cool. Add crumbled goat cheese, toss gently and serve.