This quick, easy pasta dish combines sweet grape tomatoes, toasty pine nuts and tangy goat cheese to create a wonderful blend of flavors and a great meatless dinner. A salad on the side and a nice glass of wine are all you need to round out the meal.Print
Rotini With Goat Cheese, Pine Nuts And Tomatoes
Toasted pine nuts and tangy goat cheese combine with sweet grape tomatoes to give this quick and easy pasta dish a healthy dose of rich flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dishes
- 12 ounces rotini (or penne)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (pignoli)
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1–1/2 pints grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese (about 1 cup)
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Note: It’s important to watch the pine nuts carefully as they can burn in a matter of seconds.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet along with the onion. Sauté until soft and barely golden, 4 to 6 minutes, then add the garlic and continue cooking until soft and fragrant, 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the chicken broth and tomatoes and cook just long enough for the tomatoes to soften slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and drain. Combine with the tomato mixture and toss to combine well. Add the parsley and reserved pine nuts, taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Set the pasta aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly before adding the crumbled goat cheese so it doesn’t melt completely. Toss gently and serve immediately.