Cavatappi (corkscrew) pasta, bathed in a creamy sauce of Gruyére and mascarpone, combines with chunks of tender lobster to make a decadently rich and flavorful stovetop mac and cheese that's easy enough for a weeknight dinner, yet elegant enough for a special occasion.Print
Stovetop Lobster Macaroni and Cheese
Chunks of tender lobster combine with corkscrew pasta and a rich, creamy sauce of Gruyére, mascarpone and fresh chives to make a decadently rich and flavorful stovetop mac and cheese fit for any special occasion.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 main course servings (8 to 10 as a side dish)
- 2 or 3 lobster tails (about 5 ounces each)
- 1 lb cavatappi (corkscrews)
- 3-3/4 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper (white or black)
- 8 ounces Gruyère, coarsely grated
- 6 ounces mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Reduce the heat to a rapid simmer, add the lobster tails and cook for 4 to 5 minutes (45 to 60 seconds per ounce). Using tongs, remove the lobster from the water and set aside to drain and cool.
- Bring the water back to a boil, add the cavatappi and cook until tender but not soft (al dente). Drain and set aside.
- Note: Cooking the pasta in the same water that the lobster was cooked in adds extra flavor.
- Heat the milk in the microwave or a separate saucepan until very warm, but not scalded. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and blend with a whisk until well combined. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture develops a pale golden color, 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually add the warmed milk, whisking continually until well blended.
- Continue cooking, whisking frequently, until the sauce is smooth and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 7 to 8 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the pan with a spatula once or twice during cooking to ensure there are no lumps in your sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the Gruyére and stir until completely melted. Add the mascarpone and continue stirring until the sauce is smooth. Add the cavatappi, lobster and chives. Combine well, remove from the heat and allow to stand 5 minutes. Stir again, then serve.