Truffled Mushroom and Goat Cheese Pizza
Inspired by a signature pizza from the Mellow Mushroom restaurant chain, this pizza is a richly-flavored blend of caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, garlic, truffle oil, goat cheese (chèvre) and fresh mozzarella baked atop a crispy, White-Wheat Crust (recipe included). Topped with a sprinkle of fresh chives and an extra drizzle of truffle oil just before serving, it’s a real treat for mushroom lovers.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons garlic, very finely chopped (about 3 medium cloves)
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil, plus more for drizzling
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 ounces chèvre (goat cheese)
- 2 to 3 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 recipe White-Wheat Pizza Dough (recipe follows), or your favorite store-bought dough
- Preheat the oven to 425°F, lightly oil a 12-inch round pizza pan, sprinkle with a little cornmeal and set aside.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of the garlic with the truffle oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, 7 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, add the remaining garlic and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden in color, 10 to 12 minutes longer. If you feel the mixture is too dry during cooking, just add a little water.
- Once the onions are golden, add the mushrooms and cook just long enough for them to shrink slightly and become tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Roll the pizza dough to fit the prepared pan. Spread the garlic-truffle oil mixture over the entire surface and pre-bake the crust for 5 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and spread the onion-mushroom mixture evenly on top. Arrange the cheeses evenly around the pizza and return to the oven until the crust is nicely toasted and the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh chives and drizzle with a little extra truffle oil. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope fast-rising yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup warm water (125°F to 130°F)
- Combine the whole wheat flour, 1 cup of the all-purpose flour, yeast and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and warm water and stir to combine. Add enough extra all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (1/2 cup is usually enough).
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 6 minutes. Form the dough into a ball, cover loosely and let rest for 10 minutes.
- For thin-crust pizzas:
Divide the dough in half and flatten into 2 disks. Roll and stretch to fit pizza pans that have been lightly oiled and sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Pre-bake the crust for 5 minutes at 425°F. Remove from the oven, add the desired toppings, and continue baking until the edges of the crust are toasted and the cheese is melted and bubbly, 8 to 12 minutes.
- For a thick-crust pizza:
Flatten the dough into a disk, then roll and stretch to fit a pizza pan that's been lightly oiled and sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Once the crust is positioned on the pan, cover loosely and allow to rise for 10 minutes, then pre-bake for 5 minutes at 425°F. Remove from the oven, add the desired toppings and continue baking until the crust is crisped on both the bottom and edges, and the cheese is melted and bubbly, 12 to 20 minutes.
- Note: Remember that baking times will vary depending on your particular oven, the material of your pizza pan and the toppings used. Be flexible and experiment a little to find the times that work best for you.
- Make ahead tip: This dough can be made ahead, wrapped tightly in plastic and refrigerated for up to one day if desired. Remove from the refrigerator for 10 minutes before rolling.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.