Eggplant Pizza with Ricotta
A treat for vegetarians and pizza lovers alike, our eggplant pizza is topped with three types of cheese, tomatoes, basil, and roasted eggplant.
Making homemade pizza is a great way to have some creative fun in the kitchen. There are so many combinations of sauces, cheese, meats, and veggies you can use to top your favorite homemade crust, it’s easy to come up with different variations to please every member of your family.
How to make eggplant pizza:
- To make this hearty meatless pizza, we start with our White-Wheat Homemade Pizza Dough. Made with a combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flour, it only needs a few minutes of kneading, a 10-minute rest, and 5 minutes of pre-baking before it’s ready for the toppings.
- The eggplant can be oven-roasted while you prepare the dough, and as soon as it cools a bit, it’s spread over the pre-baked crust to make the first layer of toppings.
- Next, ricotta cheese that’s been combined with minced garlic, fresh basil, and grated Parmesan is spread over the eggplant slices. Then, sliced plum tomatoes and a few basil leaves are added.
- For a finishing touch, chunks of fresh mozzarella are scattered over the top before the pizza is baked to golden perfection.
More vegetarian pizza recipes:
- Truffled Mushroom and Goat Cheese Pizza
- Mini Spinach Pizzas with Egg
- Four Cheese White Broccoli Pizza (from Chisel & Fork)
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chiffonade of fresh basil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb homemade pizza dough
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 6 to 8 large basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Slice the eggplant into 1/4-inch thick slices and arrange them in a single layer on the prepared sheet. Brush both sides lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until tender and just starting to brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, garlic, basil, and parmesan in a small bowl and set aside.
- Roll and/or stretch the pizza dough to fit a pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Brush lightly with oil, then cover with slices of roasted eggplant.
- Spread the ricotta mixture over the eggplant, then add a layer of tomatoes.
- Add the basil leaves, then scatter the mozzarella cubes on top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the mozzarella is melted and bubbly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 548Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 1058mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 27g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.