These cake-like drop cookies are a cinch to make and appeal to adults and kids alike. The tangy orange zest, tart cranberries and spices blend beautifully with the mellow flavor of pumpkin.Print
Spiced Pumpkin, Orange And Cranberry Cookies
Pumpkin, orange juice, dried cranberries and freshly ground spices combine to make the perfect fall cookie.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3-1/2 to 4 dozen
- Category: Baking
- 2–3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 can (15-ounce) pumpkin (plain, not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl, set aside. Combine butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in large mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Add egg, pumpkin, orange juice orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice and beat until thoroughly combined. Gradually add in the flour mixture and beat until combined. Mix in the dried cranberries.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Although we prefer these cookies plain, you can brush on a powdered sugar glaze after they’ve cooled. Combine 1-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 2-3 tablespoons orange juice and 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest in medium bowl until smooth and lightly brush over the tops of the cookies.
Try using whole spices and grind them just before adding to the dough for more intense, aromatic flavor.