Over the years, recipes for biscotti have become a favorite treat for the holidays and this cranberry and pistachio version is no exception.
What Is Biscotti?
Biscotti is a twice-baked cookie (biscuit) of Italian origin. To make them, the dough is first baked in a loaf, then sliced and baked a second time.
It may sound like extra work, but biscotti are very easy to make and the result of the double baking process is a beautifully crunchy cookie that’s perfect for dunking in coffee, espresso, milk or even dessert wine.
Once you learn a basic recipe for biscotti, it’s easy to vary the flavors. This biscotti recipe, in particular, is great for the holiday season because of the festive red and green cranberries and pistachios.
More Biscotti RecipesPrint
Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
These cranberry and pistachio biscotti are delicious, twice-baked Italian cookies, perfect for serving with coffee as an after-dinner treat.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen
- Category: Baking
- 1–1/3 cups dried cranberries
- 2–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pistachios, dry-roasted and shelled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
- Soak cranberries in boiling hot water to cover in a small bowl until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain, then pat dry with paper towels. Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a large baking sheet, knocking off excess flour.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer at moderate speed until combined well. Add eggs and vanilla and beat just until a dough forms. Add cranberries and nuts and mix at low speed.
- Turn out dough onto a well floured surface and knead several times. Halve dough, then form each half into a 13″ x 2″ slightly flattened log on baking sheet, using floured hands and spacing logs about 3″ apart. Brush logs with egg wash.
- Bake in middle of oven until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool logs on baking sheet on a rack 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut diagonally into 1/2″ thick slices with a serrated knife. Arrange slices, a cut side down, in a single layer on baking sheet. It is ok if they touch. Bake in middle of oven turning once until golden and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes total.