Biscotti are twice baked Italian cookies that are wonderful for dipping into espresso, cappuccino, coffee, tea ~ even dessert wine. This recipe isn’t overly sweet and gets a wonderfully rich, nutty flavor from the pine nuts. The rosemary is a fragrant component that balances really well with the subtle orange flavors from the zest and liqueur. For a non-alcoholic version, check the recipe notes.Print
Orange Rosemary Biscotti
This is a delicious biscotti recipe, flavored with toasted pine nuts, rosemary, fresh orange zest and orange liqueur.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: about 3 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- Zest of 1 large orange (about 1-1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped (see recipe notes)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs, vanilla, orange liqueur and orange zest and beat until light and smooth. Stir in the pine nuts and rosemary.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients and combine gently with a spatula, just until mixed.
- Dust the parchment-lined baking sheet with a generous amount of flour and spoon the dough onto it in two equal portions. With well-floured hands, form each portion into a 12 x 2-inch log. Smooth and shape the logs evenly, flouring your hands again if needed.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, turning the pan once, midway through to ensure even cooking. The logs will be light golden brown and just starting to crack on top when done. Remove from the oven and cool for 7 to 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Using a serrated knife, cut each log into 3/8-inch thick slices. Line the baking sheet with a fresh sheet of parchment and arrange the biscotti about 1/2-inch apart.
- Bake for 6 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven, flip them over, then bake for an additional 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks.
For a non-alcoholic version, substitute 1/2 teaspoon orange extract for the orange liqueur. You can also adjust the amount of rosemary you use to suit your taste, or omit it altogether if you’re not fond of the flavor.