This super-simple recipe is the perfect choice for dressing up any mild-flavored fish fillet. We chose tilapia and oven-fried the breadcrumb-crusted fillets, finishing them with a flavorful “baste” made from butter, garlic, freshly squeezed lemon juice and fresh basil. Serve with simple sides like mashed potatoes and oven-roasted zucchini.Print
Oven-Fried Tilapia with Basil-Lemon Butter
Oven-fried tilapia fillets get a fabulous boost of flavor from a simple sauce made with butter, garlic, lemon and fresh basil.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dishes
- 4 tilapia fillets (1–1/4 to 1–1/2 lbs)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chiffonade of fresh basil, tightly packed
- 4 teaspoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and coat a shallow baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, salt and a few grinds of black pepper and spread the mixture on a dinner plate. Dredge the fish fillets in the flour mixture and shake off the excess.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a pie plate or shallow dish. Spread the breadcrumbs on a dinner plate. Dip the floured fish into the egg mixture, then coat with the crumbs, pressing gently to be sure they adhere well.
- Arrange the fillets on the prepared baking pan in a single layer and coat them lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 7 minutes.
- While the fish is baking, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the lemon juice and basil and remove from the heat.
- Remove the fish from the oven and spoon the butter mixture evenly over the fillets. Sprinkle with the grated cheese, return to the oven and bake for an additional 3 minutes.