Garlic and onion sautéed in olive oil and a little bit of chicken broth make a very light sauce that coats the linguine nicely and keeps the dish light and reasonably low in fat.
Serve with a nice salad dressed with a classic vinaigrette and you’ll have a well-rounded, healthy meal on the table in less than 45 minutes.
Linguine With Shrimp, Zucchini And Red Pepper
This one-dish pasta dinner is made with shrimp, zucchini and red bell pepper sautéed in olive oil, flavored with garlic and onion and tossed with linguine.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Italian
- 3/4 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
- 3 small zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces linguine
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Trim the ends from the zucchini and quarter them lengthwise. Lay the pieces on paper towels, sprinkle with salt and set aside for at least 10 minutes. This will draw out excess moisture and keep the zucchini firm when sautéed.
- Blot the moisture from the zucchini using additional paper towels and cut them into small cubes. Set aside with the red bell pepper.
- Put a pot of salted water on to boil for the linguine.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook just until fragrant, 1 minute longer.
- Add the bell pepper and zucchini and sauté, stirring often, until the zucchini is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Start the linguine cooking and raise the heat on the zucchini mixture to medium-high. Drizzle with chicken broth, add the shrimp and combine.
- Cover the pan and cook just long enough for the shrimp to turn pink and opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Once the linguine is tender, drain and return it to the pan. Add the shrimp and vegetables, toss to combine and add a little extra olive oil if necessary. Serve immediately.
Recipe Keywords: one-dish dinner, pasta dinner