Oven Fried Fish Sandwiches
Made with crumb-coated, fresh fish fillets that are oven-fried until crisp and golden these fish sandwiches are much tastier, not to mention healthier than their fast-food counterpart.
They make an easy meal that's perfect for a weeknight dinner or weekend lunch.
- 2 large tilapia fillets (about 3/4 lb)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Leaf lettuce
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 soft sandwich rolls
For the tartar sauce:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet pickle relish (well-drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sweet onion, very finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and coat a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Prepare the tartar sauce by combining the mayonnaise, relish, mustard, lemon juice and onion in a small mixing bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a shallow dish.
- Spread the breadcrumbs on a plate add 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of black pepper and combine well.
- Cut the fish fillets crosswise into 4 pieces (see notes).
- Dip both sides in the egg mixture, then press the fillets gently into the breadcrumbs to be sure they're well coated.
- Arrange the fish fillets on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle evenly with a little vegetable oil.
- Bake until the fish flakes easily and the coating is crisp and golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Top each piece of fish with a slice of cheese and return them to the oven until the cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes.
- To serve, place some lettuce on the bottom half of each roll and top with a piece of fish and a spoonful of tartar sauce.