Made with crumb-coated, fresh fish fillets that are oven fried until crisp and golden these fish sandwiches are much tastier, not to mention healthier than their fast food counterpart. They make an easy meal that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or weekend lunch.Print
Oven-Fried Fish Sandwiches
Healthier than fast food and practically as easy, these crispy oven-fried fish fillet sandwiches make great weeknight dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 large tilapia fillets (about 3/4 lb)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Leaf lettuce
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 soft sandwich rolls
- For the tartar sauce:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet pickle relish (well drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sweet onion, very finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and coat a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Prepare the tartar sauce by combining the mayonnaise, relish, mustard, lemon juice and onion in a small mixing bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a shallow dish. Spread the breadcrumbs on a plate add 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of black pepper and combine well.
- Cut the fish fillets crosswise into 4 pieces (see notes). Dip both sides in the egg mixture, then press the fillets gently into the breadcrumbs to be sure they’re well coated.
- Arrange the fish fillets on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle evenly with a little vegetable oil.
- Bake until the fish flakes easily and the coating is crisp and golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Top each piece of fish with a slice of cheese and return them to the oven until the cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes.
- To serve, place some lettuce on the bottom half of each roll and top with a piece of fish and a spoonful of tartar sauce.
Often times, when you cut a tilapia fillet crosswise, you’ll end up with 3 pieces – 1 large piece and 2 narrow ones.
If this is the case, bread the 2 small pieces separately, arrange them on the baking sheet as if they were attached and when the time comes, cover them with a single slice of cheese. It won’t make any difference once the sandwich is assembled.