Inspired by the flavors of Brazil, this quick and easy shrimp recipe comes together in just about 30 minutes. It’s made by briefly simmering the shrimp in a combination of coconut milk, garlic, red bell pepper, fresh tomato, lime juice, scallions and cilantro. The sauce is light and full of fresh flavor, which makes it perfect for spooning over steamed rice.Print
Brazilian Shrimp Stew
Inspired by traditional Brazilian cuisine, this fast, easy recipe is made by simmering shrimp in coconut milk flavored with red pepper, tomato, scallions, cilantro and lime.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1–1/4 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1–2/3 cups unsweetened coconut milk (14 ounce can)
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Steamed white rice
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and continue cooking until tender, 3 to 4 minutes more. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the tomato, combine well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the coconut milk, add a pinch of cayenne and bring the mixture to a rapid simmer. Add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink and opaque, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice, taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Add the scallions and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- To serve, plate individual servings of rice, top with shrimp and spoon sauce over the top.