This recipe requires a lot of cooking time, but the prep time is really minimal.
While you’re waiting for the oven, slow cooker or pressure cooker to work its magic on the pork, you can mix up barbecue sauce and coleslaw.
Once those tasks are complete, all you need to do is assemble the sandwiches!
Oven-Roasted Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- 3 to 4 lb Boston butt pork roast
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
For the rub:
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1-1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
For the barbecue sauce:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice or cider
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
For the sandwiches:
- 8 large, soft sandwich buns
- 8 dill pickles
- 1-1/2 cups [Light and Creamy Coleslaw]
- Kettle cooked potato chips
- Preheat the oven to 225°F.
Prepare the pork:
- Prepare the rub by combining the paprika, salt, sugar, mustard, cumin, pepper, garlic and onion powders and cayenne in a small bowl. Trim any large pieces of exterior fat from the pork if desired. Pat the rub mixture on all sides of the pork and place uncovered, in a dutch oven. Roast uncovered for 1 hour.
- Remove the pork from the oven, brush with the olive oil, add the water, cover and return to the oven for approximately 5 hours longer. At this point the pork should be very tender and pull apart easily with a fork. Total roasting time runs between 90 and 100 minutes per pound.
- Transfer the pork to a large platter and allow to cool enough to handle. With two dinner forks, shred the meat into bite-sized pieces, removing any large chunks of fat in the process.
Prepare the barbecue sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until thickened.
- Add the barbecue sauce to the shredded pork.
Assemble the sandwiches:
- Fill each bun with a portion of shredded pork and top with a tablespoon or two of coleslaw (recipe follows).
- Serve with a dill pickle and a side of chips.