Our recipe for Hungarian Cabbage Noodles (Káposztás Tészta) is one of our all-time favorite comfort foods.
Being of Hungarian descent this simple dish of buttery noodles and sweet sautéed cabbage is a favorite side for family gatherings. It’s easy to prepare and goes great with a wide variety of main dishes.
Hungarian Cabbage Noodles
- 12 ounces broad egg noodles
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 medium head of cabbage, about 8 cups, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a large, shallow casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Prepare the egg noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until it begins to soften.
- Add about 1/3 of the chopped cabbage, season with a pinch of salt and cook until wilted and reduced in bulk.
- Repeat with the other two batches of cabbage, being sure to season with a bit more salt each time.
- Continue cooking until the cabbage begins to caramelize slightly and edges turn golden.
- Add a few grinds of black pepper, and adjust the salt to taste. Stir in the chicken broth and milk, and cook until heated through.
- Combine the cabbage mixture with the drained noodles and toss to distribute well. Taste for seasoning again and adjust if necessary.
- Transfer the noodles to the prepared casserole. Cover tightly and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and dot with the extra tablespoon of butter.
- Raise the oven temperature to 375° and return the noodles to the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the top browns a little and the crumbs toast slightly.