This recipe is a variation of one of our favorite side dishes, Hungarian Cabbage Noodles. The addition of a healthy dose of garlic, fresh thyme, a hint of balsamic vinegar and a topping of Parmesan cheese creates a savory flavor profile that complements the sweetness of the sautéed cabbage and lends the dish a bit of an Italian flare.Print
Parmesan Pasta with Cabbage and Thyme
A savory, Italian-inspired side dish that combines your favorite cut of pasta with sautéed cabbage, garlic, fresh thyme and a topping of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 10 ounces pasta (cavatappi, rotini, penne)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 5 cups cabbage, finely chopped (1–1/4 to 1–1/2 lbs)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta and preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a medium-sized baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 1 minute, then add half the cabbage and continue cooking until it cooks down slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the remaining cabbage and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking the cabbage, stirring frequently, until it’s tender and lightly caramelized, 12 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and continue cooking 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar, taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Stir in the half-and-half, cook for 1 minute longer, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cook and drain the pasta according to package directions, then combine it with the cabbage mixture and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with the Parmesan cheese and bake, uncovered, until the cheese is golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.