Creamed spinach is a classic side dish that complements a wide variety of entrees. Even people who aren’t veggie lovers (including kids) find the rich, creamy flavor irresistible. Our creamed spinach recipe is simple to make and can easily be prepared ahead and reheated, so it’s a great choice for a dinner party or holiday get-together.
Print Recipe Pin Recipe SaveSaved!
Flavorful and easy to make, this classic creamed spinach recipe is made with chopped spinach, cream cheese, sour cream and milk.
- 8 cups frozen chopped spinach, 20 ounces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- Add the spinach to a large, heavy skillet and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until it’s completely thawed and all of the moisture has evaporated. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion and continue cooking, stirring often, until the mixture turns golden, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Warm the milk in the microwave for 1 minute, then slowly add it to the onion mixture. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the reserved spinach along with the cream cheese and combine thoroughly.
- Add the sour cream, mix well and continue cooking until the creamed spinach is hot and bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg and transfer to a serving bowl.
Have you tried this recipe?Did you add your own special touch? We’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment and a rating to share your thoughts with others.
Leave a Reply