These slice and bake eggnog cookies are full of the rich flavor of holiday eggnog spiked with rum and dusted with nutmeg. They have a firm texture, a slight crunch and just enough sweetness to handle the extra flavors of the icing.Print
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 2–1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the icing:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl and using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat until creamy and light. Add the egg yolks, vanilla and rum extracts, and continue beating until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add to the butter and egg mixture and combine thoroughly to form a soft dough.
- Working on a flat surface, divide dough in half and shape each half into a log about 8 inches long by 2 inches in diameter. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the logs from the refrigerator and let them stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes. While still wrapped in plastic, roll the logs on a flat surface to round out the flat side that may have developed while they were chilling.
- Unwrap, and using a sharp knife, cut the logs into 1/4-inch thick slices, turning the log a little after each cut to help keep it round.
- Place the cookies 1 inch apart on the parchment lined sheets and bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until light golden in color. Cool on wire racks.
- While the cookies bake, make the icing: Combine the sugar, butter and a pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the cream, rum, vanilla extract and nutmeg and beat with a mixer or by hand, until smooth and creamy.
- After the cookies have cooled completely, coat the top of each with a thin layer of icing and sprinkle with a little extra nutmeg if desired. Allow the icing to harden completely before storing.
- Store in an airtight container, no more than 2 layers deep, placing waxed paper between the layers.
- Category: Baking