Our updated version of a classic 1960s Waldorf Salad includes dried cranberries and freshly grated orange zest for added flavor, toasted pecans and a lightened version of the original mayo dressing.
- 4 medium (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs.) Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- Zest of 1 orange (2 to 3 teaspoons)
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup celery (3 to 4 stalks), sliced
- 1 cup toasted pecan halves
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Green leaf or romaine lettuce
- Whisk the lemon juice, mayonnaise, yogurt and orange zest together in a large mixing bowl. Add the apples and quickly toss to coat to prevent browning.
- Add the grapes, celery, pecan halves and dried cranberries. Season with a pinch of salt and a little black pepper, then toss to combine.
- To serve, line a bowl with lettuce leaves and spoon in the salad.