The tender texture of Italian turkey sausage makes it a great choice for filling these little pastry-wrapped appetizers. For extra flavor, we added a touch of balsamic vinegar and provolone cheese, then sprinkled the tops with some oregano and a favorite seasoning blend. We might make a double batch next time ~ they went quick!Print
- 3 links sweet Italian turkey sausage (1/2 to 3/4 lb)
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely grated provolone cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Garlic and herb seasoning blend
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil coated with nonstick spray.
- Using a sharp knife, slit the sausage casings lengthwise and remove. Place the sausages on the prepared baking sheet and, using your fingers, reshape them to approximately 1/2-inch in diameter and 12-inches long. Bake until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside for about 20 minutes to cool to room temperature. Combine the tomato paste and balsamic vinegar and lightly brush the tops of the sausages with the mixture.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425°F and line the baking sheet with fresh parchment or foil sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Unfold the pastry sheet onto a lightly floured flat surface and roll out gently to smooth the creases and stretch the sheet to a 10 x 12-inch rectangle. Slice the pastry lengthwise into 3 strips and sprinkle a portion of the grated provolone down the center of each.
- Place one length of sausage, sauce side down about 1/2-inch in from the edge of each strip. Brush the other side of the sausages with the remaining tomato paste mixture, then roll the pastry around them, smoothing the outer edge of the dough with your finger to seal completely.
- Place seam side down, cut each roll into 8 pieces, and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet, about 1-1/2 inches apart. Brush each piece with beaten egg, then top with dried oregano and garlic and herb seasoning blend. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and golden brown.
- Category: Appetizers