Orange-Basil Stuffed Dates with Prosciutto
This appetizer takes just a few minutes to prepare and the salty, sweet and tangy flavor combination seems to make a big hit. We choose to use Medjool dates because their generous size makes them so easy to fill and their rich, honey-like flavor complements the prosciutto so nicely.
- 12 Medjool dates
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- Pinch of salt
- Using a paring knife, slit each date lengthwise on one side only and remove the pit. Cut the prosciutto slices in half to make 12 long strips.
- Combine the cream cheese, orange zest, basil and salt in a small bowl. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each date and close gently.
- Wrap each date with a strip of prosciutto, arrange on a serving platter and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Makes 6 to 8 servings