Orange-Basil Stuffed Dates with Prosciutto
A simple combination of cream cheese, orange zest, and fresh basil fill these delicious prosciutto-wrapped Medjool dates.
This easy-to-make, bite-sized appetizer always makes a big hit with our guests. It takes just a few minutes to prepare and can be made ahead, refrigerated and brought to room temperature before serving.
The flavor combination is nothing short of addictive as the saltiness of the prosciutto combined with the tangy cream cheese, basil, and orange filling balances out the creamy, caramel-like sweetness of the dates.
We recommend serving two per person, but after you taste them, you may find you want to up the ante!
What are Medjool dates?
We chose to use Medjool dates for this recipe because their generous size makes them so easy to fill and their mellow, sweet flavor is superior to that of other varieties of dates.
Known as the “king of dates,” Medjool dates were once reserved for Moroccan royalty, but they're now grown in California and Arizona for the US market.
Growing Medjools is a labor-intensive process and consequently, they bear a heftier price tag than other date varieties, but their creamy texture and rich caramel flavor make them well worth the price.
- 12 Medjool dates
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- Using a paring knife, slit each date lengthwise on one side only and carefully remove the pit.
- Cut the prosciutto slices in half lengthwise to make 12 strips.
- Combine the cream cheese, orange zest, and basil in a small bowl.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each date and close gently.
- Wrap each date with a strip of prosciutto, arrange on a serving platter.
- This recipe can be made ahead to this point, covered tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator one hour before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 pieces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 809mg Carbohydrates: 37g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 32g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 10g