Made with the perfect ratio of salt, spices, dried herbs, and sugar, this all-purpose seasoning blend can be used to enhance the flavor of everything from salads to chicken, fish, pork, and potatoes.
How to use all-purpose seasoning
- Seasoning prior to cooking: Cut back on the recommended amount of salt for your recipe and replace that quantity with our all-purpose blend. This works particularly well for oven-roasted meats and vegetables because the sugar in the blend helps with caramelization.
- Use as a finishing seasoning: This works best for foods cooked over high heat (e.g. grilling, broiling, pan-searing) because the sugars in this blend could burn if added too early. Try adding a sprinkling to steaks, pork chops, chicken, and burgers while they rest before serving.
- Flavoring sauces and salad dressings: Cut back on salt and add all-purpose seasoning to taste.
These recommendations certainly don’t cover all the ways you can use this versatile seasoning, but they provide guidelines to follow as you experiment with its flavors. For more on how to properly season your food, visit The Secret to Perfectly Salted Food for some expert tips.
All-Purpose Seasoning Blend
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley, lightly crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon, lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, optional
- 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- Add all the ingredients except for the sugar to a small bowl and combine well.
- Mix in 1-1/2 tablespoons of the sugar, taste and add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon if desired.
- Transfer the seasoning to a standard-sized spice jar with a large-hole shaker top and tight-fitting lid.
- Store in a cool, dry place and use as desired.