Rib-eye is a very flavorful, tender cut of beef and it makes a top-notch steak sandwich. Served on a crusty baguette, this sandwich combines thin slices of balsamic-marinated steak, fresh spinach, sautéed onions and mushrooms, and a layer of tangy, melted blue cheese.Print
Grilled Rib-Eye Sandwich with Blue Cheese
Thinly sliced grilled rib eye steak, sautéed onions and mushrooms, fresh spinach and melted blue cheese, served on a crusty baguette.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb boneless rib-eye steak
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 French baguette (about 16-inch), sliced horizontally
- 3 to 4 ounces blue cheese
- 4 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- Trim any excess fat from the steak, season with salt and pepper and drizzle each side with 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Set aside for 20 minutes to come to room temperature.
- While the steak is marinating, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until the mushrooms are nicely browned and the onion is caramelized, 8 to 12 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to a medium-high temperature (about 400°F). Oil the grates, add the steak and grill to desired doneness, 2-1/2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare (depending on thickness). Leave the grill on. Allow the steak to rest for 5 minutes, then cut into very thin (1/8-inch) slices.
- To assemble the sandwiches, place the baguette on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Line the bottom of the baguette with spinach leaves, add the steak slices and top with the onion-mushroom mixture. Add the blue cheese and place the sandwich on the grill until the cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes. Top with the other half of the baguette, compress gently and cut into 4 equal portions.