This recipe is a twist on the concept of a classic New England Lobster Roll. Using Mexican-inspired ingredients, we combined juicy, pan-seared, jumbo shrimp with avocado-cilantro mayonnaise, sliced jalapeño pepper and scallions and served it on a toasted hot dog bun with tortilla chips on the side.Print
Mexican Shrimp Roll w/Avocado Mayo
A twist on a traditional New England-Style Lobster Roll made with shrimp, avocado-cilantro mayonnaise, jalapeño pepper and scallions.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Cilantro leaves (optional)
- 4 hot dog buns, lightly toasted
For the avocado-cilantro mayonnaise:
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, mashed
- 1 small clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine the shrimp, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, a pinch of salt and a little black pepper in a bowl. Toss the mixture to coat the shrimp and set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Make the avocado-cilantro mayonnaise by combining the avocado, garlic, lime juice and mayonnaise in a bowl. Mash with a fork until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the cilantro. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until pink and opaque, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a cutting board, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then chop into 3/4-inch pieces.
- Spread a portion of the avocado mayo on each hot dog bun. Add shrimp, then top with scallions, jalapeño and a few cilantro leaves if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips on the side.