A spicy coating of Creole-style seasoning blend (see notes) mixed with butter and tomato paste transforms mild, flaky catfish fillets into a flavor-packed choice for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Baked Creole Catfish
- 4 medium catfish fillets, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
For the Creole seasoning (see notes):
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and coat a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray. Arrange the fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan and set aside.
- Combine the paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme, cayenne, and a few grinds of black pepper in a small bowl.
- Add the melted butter and tomato paste and mix well. Taste and add a little more cayenne if desired.
- Brush the mixture onto both sides of each catfish fillet and bake until the fish flakes easily, 10 to 15 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fillets). Serve immediately.