This recipe for an old-fashioned Irish Soda Bread makes a moist, dense bread with a hint of sweetness and a delicious, chewy crust.
You don't need to be an experienced bread baker to give this easy recipe a try. Since this type of bread doesn't rely on yeast to rise, simply mix the ingredients, knead briefly, give a rest, then it's ready for the oven.
How to Serve Irish Soda Bread
With its slightly sweet flavor, chewy crust and moist texture Irish Soda Bread can be served a variety of ways. Here are some suggestions:
- For breakfast: Toast the bread lightly, spread with whipped butter and your favorite marmalade or jam. (Irish Soda Bread is often part of a traditional Irish breakfast.)
- As a first course before dinner: Make a simple dipping sauce with melted butter, a little honey and a touch of balsamic vinegar.
- As a side with a hearty stew: Warm slices of bread in the oven and serve plain or with salted butter.
This recipe is part of our St. Patrick's Day recipe collection which includes Shepherd's Pie, Lamb Stew and more.
- 1–1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Add the buttermilk and mix just until a soft dough forms.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead gently for about 1 minute to blend the ingredients more thoroughly.
- Form the dough into a ball and flatten slightly to form a 6 to 7-inch round. Dust with a little bit of flour and slash an “X” in the top with the tip of a sharp knife. Allow the bread to rest for 15 minutes.
- Once rested, bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown and crusty. Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack before slicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 467mg Carbohydrates: 54g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g