This is a quick and easy coffee cake recipe that’s topped with juicy slices of cinnamon-dusted, Golden Delicious apple instead of crumbs. The cake itself is buttery, moist and only lightly sweetened so the fresh apple flavor really takes center stage. Serve for dessert or as a treat for a weekend breakfast.Print
Golden Delicious Coffee Cake
An easy-to-make, lightly-sweetened coffee cake topped with slices of Golden Delicious apple and cinnamon-sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
For the topping:
- 1 large Golden Delicious apple
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and generously butter a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the chilled butter, toss to coat with flour, then cut in with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a separate bowl, then combine with the dry ingredients until blended. Don’t over mix.
- Spread the dough in the prepared cake pan and set aside.
- Peel, core and cut the apple into thin slices, then arrange them in a spiral pattern on top of the dough, pushing gently to nestle them in as you work. Brush liberally with the melted butter.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the apples. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cake pulls away from the edges of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.