A “betty” is a baked dessert made with layers of sugar-spiced fruit and buttered breadcrumbs. The “brown” in the recipe name refers to the use of brown sugar as opposed to white.
True to its definition, our recipe for Apple Brown Betty is a delectable combination of sliced apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, a splash of brandy and buttered panko crumbs.
We usually use a combination of Granny Smith and McIntosh apples to make this recipe, but any variety that's suitable for baking will work.
We love desserts like Apple Betty because it's so easy to control how sweet you make them.
We're usually satisfied with just a little enhancement to the natural sweetness of the apples themselves, so this recipe doesn't call for a large quantity of sugar.
We suggest you taste your apples once you've added the sugar and cinnamon. If you'd like them sweeter, you can definitely add a some extra brown sugar without worrying about how the dessert will turn out.
- 6 medium apples, peeled and cored
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brandy or apple cider (optional)
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and generously butter a 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cut the apples into thin wedges and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of salt. Drizzle the lemon juice and brandy over the mixture and toss to combine thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, combine the panko crumbs with the remaining tablespoon of brown sugar and teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Arrange half of the apples in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the crumb mixture, and drizzle with half of the melted butter. Repeat with the remaining apples, crumbs and butter.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the crumbs are nicely browned and the apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 221mg Carbohydrates: 49g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 29g Protein: 3g