Tender apples, rum-soaked, golden raisins and cinnamon are the primary flavors in this delicious, ultra-moist cake. The perfect, easy-to-make, fall dessert, it can be served plain (our preference), or topped with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.Print
Rum-Spiced Apple Pudding Cake
This deliciously-moist cake is the perfect fall dessert. Made with apples, rum-soaked golden raisins and cinnamon it's great served plain or topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 9 to 12 servings
- Category: Baking
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dark rum (or apple cider)
- 5 to 6 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1–1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon rum extract (see notes)
- 1–1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1–3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Place the raisins in a microwave-safe bowl and add the rum. Heat for 30 seconds on high and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously grease a 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Place the apples in bowl and drizzle with the lemon juice. Toss, cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Add the eggs, rum extract, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the mixture until the batter is light and fluffy.
- Add the baking soda and flour and beat until the batter is smooth and well combined.
- Drain any excess liquid from the raisins and add them to the batter. Add the apples and combine thoroughly.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the brown sugar over the top.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and return the cake to the oven for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
If you don't like the flavor of rum, simply substitute apple cider or juice to plump the raisins and replace the rum extract with extra vanilla.