Oven roasted salmon with a sweet Thai chili and orange glaze is this perfect protein to complement this colorful salad made with shredded kale, tart green apple, fresh orange, red bell pepper and shredded carrots. A handful of salted cashews, some sliced scallions and a light, creamy, citrus dressing pull all the ingredients together to a make a hearty main dish that’s not only easy to make but healthy too.Print
Glazed Salmon and Kale Salad with Creamy Citrus Dressing
Topped with oven-roasted, sweet Thai chili-glazed salmon fillets, this healthy main dish salad recipe combines shredded kale, green apple, orange segments, red bell pepper, carrots, salted cashews and a light and creamy citrus dressing.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets, skin removed
- 1/4 cup sweet Thai chili sauce
- Zest of 1 orange (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 orange, peeled, sliced and separated into segments
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 6 cups shredded kale (stems removed)
- 1/3 cup salted cashews
- 3 to 4 scallions, sliced
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cream or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons Thai chili sauce/orange zest mixture
- Preheat the oven to 500°F, line a shallow baking pan with foil and coat with nonstick spray.
- Season both sides of the salmon with salt and pepper and arrange, skinned side down, on the prepared pan.
- Combine the Thai chili sauce and orange zest in a small bowl. Transfer 2 teaspoons to a separate prep bowl for use in the dressing, then spread the remainder of the mixture evenly over each piece of salmon.
- Roast the salmon for 6 to 8 minutes (depending on thickness), remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the salmon roasts, prepare the dressing by whisking the vegetable oil, mayonnaise, lemon juice, orange juice and cream together in the bottom of a large salad bowl until smooth and creamy. Add the shallot and reserved Thai chili mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the apple, orange segments, red bell pepper and carrots. Toss with the dressing and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the kale, toss to coat with dressing, taste again and adjust the seasoning as needed. Add the cashews and scallions, give the salad a final toss and divide between 4 serving plates.
- Top each salad with a portion of salmon and serve immediately.