Oven-roasting is an easy cooking method for cabbage that really brings out its natural flavor and sweetness.
Cut into wedges and brushed with a blend of butter, olive oil, garlic and fresh herbs, roasted cabbage makes a tasty side dish that goes great with pork and chicken.Print
Garlic and Herb Roasted Cabbage
Brushed with a combination of melted butter, olive oil, garlic and fresh thyme, these oven-roasted cabbage wedges make a great side dish to serve with chicken or pork.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Vegetables
- Cuisine: American
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (our favorite), parsley or dill, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and coat a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Quarter the cabbage lengthwise, cut away the tough core from each quarter, then cut them in half to make a total of 8 wedges. Arrange the cabbage in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and set aside.
- Melt the butter and olive oil together in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Whisk in the mustard and herbs and remove from the heat.
- Brush half the butter mixture onto the cabbage wedges and season them liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 10 to 12 minutes, then remove the cabbage from the oven and carefully turn the wedges over.
- Brush with the remainder of the butter mixture, season with salt and pepper and continue roasting until the cabbage is tender, 15 to 20 minutes longer.
Recipe Keywords: roasted vegetables