Fried Green Tomatoes
There’s something about the simplicity of a fried tomato that is undeniably delicious and although you can fry both green and red tomatoes, it’s the green variety that’s most popular.
Made with a just a handful of ingredients, these cornmeal-crusted goodies are easy to prepare and a make a wonderful side dish to serve with simple entrées like oven-fried chicken and grilled pork chops.
- 6 large green tomatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Core the tomatoes, cut them into 3/8-inch thick slices and set aside.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a shallow dish (a pie plate works well) until completely blended.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, salt and a few grinds of black pepper in another shallow dish and set on the counter next to the egg mixture.
- Heat about 1/8-inch of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat (350° to 375°F).
- Dip individual slices of tomato in the egg mixture and turn them once to coat.
- Let any excess egg drip off, then coat the them in the cornmeal mixture.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan in a single layer and fry until the coating is crisp and golden and the tomatoes are tender, 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes per side.
- Transfer cooked tomatoes to a paper towel-lined plate, sprinkle lightly with salt and repeat the process with the remaining slices.
Note: For best results, wipe out the pan with paper towels and add fresh oil for every batch.
- Once the tomatoes have been blotted on paper towels, you can place them on a foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer and transfer to a 200°F oven to keep warm.
Don't stack them because the residual heat will create steam and ruin the crispness of the coating.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 670mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 9g
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and may vary from your actual results.